Friday 28 October 2011

Welcome To Scuttlebutt

I've spent the past 10 months half-assedly plotting to start a blog but never managed to hit my groove and take flight. I've realised that my hesitancy was due to a nebulous sense of what I wanted to rant about, and what the proposed blog would celebrate. My eventual inspiration came last weekend on Hampstead High Street, coming down from a post celebrity-spotting rush after brushing past Emma Thompson - an actress I have always detested - as I stumbled across the word scuttlebutt.

It's perfect. It's sexy, retro, giddy, mildly obscure, musical and a little dirty - everything this site will not be.

Welcome to Scuttlebutt.

(Nautical) A drinking fountain on a ship used to hold the day's supply of drinking water. Sailors gathered here to exchange gossip. 
(Military) A secret meeting place to swap secret information
(Slang) Gossip; rumour; word on the street
(Slang noun) A person who lies or spreads rumours 
(Slang verb) The act of a dog dragging its ass across the carpet

2 comments: